While setting up blogs in our pilot WordPress project blogs.mcgill.ca, I’ve been asked what the difference is between the various user roles in WordPress. From the WordPress Codex, here is a brief summary:
- Administrator – Somebody who has access to all the administration features
- Editor – Somebody who can publish posts, manage posts as well as manage other people’s posts, etc.
- Author – Somebody who can publish and manage their own posts
- Contributor – Somebody who can write and manage their posts but not publish posts
- Subscriber – Somebody who can read comments/comment/receive news letters, etc.
For more information, read about Roles and Capabilities on the WordPress Codex.