On Nov. 24th, industry leaders in communications, PR, and marketing shared their unique insights with McGill’s students.
Everyone that attended the Speaker Series session got their hands on some top tips for the next step in their career. The presenters spoke with great candour while reaffirming that there is no specific path to become a communications professional. Here are just a few of these fantastic tips:
Valery Pasionek: self-confessed agency addict.
- There’s no vanilla flavour in an agency —no one’s bland!
- If you decide to work in an agency, you’ll have a chance to learn from the industry’s superstars.
- When job-hunting, don’t sell your skills, sell yourself.
Darini Vedarattiname: lives to help others and has managed to make a career out of it.
- Don’t waste your time working for an organization if it’s not right for you.
- Build your network and brand—stand out and rise above the noise.
- Help people and be genuine while doing so. You never know what may come of it.
Deborah Hinton: believes that it’s ok if your career path looks like a squiggly line.
- Give yourself career goals to help you stay on track. Figure out what you want to achieve and give yourself a deadline.
- Embrace curiosity: ask questions and get involved.
- Make sure your network is diverse—we can learn a great deal from different people.
Many of us walked away from this memorable evening with a new set of tricks up our sleeves.
Thank you Deborah, Darini, and Valery for taking the time to come to McGill—we can’t wait to put your tips into practice!
Also, we would like to extend a big THANK YOU to the support of Investor’s Group for sponsoring the post-event networking session.
Many students voiced interest for professional mentoring. For further information about the resources at the SCS, please feel inclined to send an email to Emilie Nketiah at firstname.lastname@example.org.