Finding Happiness

http://www.finerminds.com/happiness/create-happiness-in-hopeless-situations

How to find happiness has been one of the most fundamental questions since the beginning of humanity. Today, behavior scientists are tackling this question, studying what makes us happy and what doesn’t. While happiness seems like an elusive, relative concept, there is a science of happiness. And to become more adept at staying happier for longer, understanding the nature of happiness is key.

Happiness often comes from within. So it shouldn’t surprise you to hear that about half of our happiness level is controllable; according to researcher Sonja Lyubomirsky, about 40 percent of our happiness is under our control. The remaining 60 percent is “predetermined by biological set points and recent life events.” While we are all born with different biological set points and different temperaments, we can reduce their power over our general state of happiness by actively practicing new optimistic attitudes and learning how to tame negative thoughts.

Just like happiness itself, optimism is part genetic, part learned. While there isn’t much you can do about the genetic bit, you can still manage stress by actively thinking positive thoughts. Optimism doesn’t mean ignoring the reality of a dire situation; an optimist would simply accept the challenge in a hopeful way and look at from the bright side.

There is no magical way to make us happy forever, and happiness isn’t something that just happens to you. You have the power to make small changes that can set you on a course for a happier life.

 

Information obtained from: https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201609/5-proven-truths-about-finding-happiness

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments are closed.

Blog authors are solely responsible for the content of the blogs listed in the directory. Neither the content of these blogs, nor the links to other web sites, are screened, approved, reviewed or endorsed by McGill University. The text and other material on these blogs are the opinion of the specific author and are not statements of advice, opinion, or information of McGill.